When I first went vegan, I thought one of my favorite meals had gone out the window. I had eaten vegan pizza before, but it just didn’t live up to my ideals of an indulgent cheesy vegan pizza with a satisfyingly crunchy base.
I decided to embark on my own journey of creating the perfect vegan pizza, complete with a crispy base and mouthwatering melting cheese. After many attempts at creating this masterpiece, I think I have finally cracked the code. My tireless efforts have resulted in a easy cheesy vegan pizza that I find irresistible. What I find so remarkable about this recipe is that it is so simple, the ingredients are healthy and it can be made from scratch in almost no time at all.
My favorite variation of this recipe is to make the gluten free base, with my go-to tomato sauce, top that off with the cheese, mushrooms and red onion. The best ingredient of all goes on fresh, the love of all plant-based eaters, the avocado.
Cheesy Vegan Pizza
- Premade vegan pizza base or try this gluten free option coming soon
- If your base doesn't have tomato sauce on already cut up 3 tomatoes, cook on medium heat for 20 - 30 minutes with some garlic, basil and salt to taste
Vegan pizza cheese
- 1/4 cup of cashews
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 400° F or 200° C
- Spread the tomato sauce over the pizza base
How to make the cheese
- Soak cashews in hot water for 30 minutes
- Add the cashews and hot water to a blender
- Heat a sauce pan over high heat
- Blend cashews with the water for about a minute
- Add the rest of the cheese ingredients and blend to combine
- Pour the mixture into your warm pot
- Stir continuously with a spoon in a figure eight motion
- The cheese will start to thicken and become stringy
- Add the stringy cheese to the base over the tomato sauce and spread evenly
- Add your toppings and bake the pizza as long as packaging specifies (30 minutes if you tried my gluten free recipe) and Voila! you have a great tasting cheesy vegan pizza
I am always looking for ideas for new toppings, so please leave any suggestions in the comments below.
Follow us on Instagram for our latest recipes and tips for your plant based journey.
Thank you for reading
Love chocolate? Try our super simple vegan chocolate brownies
Get the best plant-based recipes first!