A Stretchy Vegan Cheese Recipe that’s Perfect for Pizza!
When we first went vegan, googling “vegan cheese recipe” would bring up recipes that were both complicated and didn’t give great results either. We believed that we would never be able to enjoy a cheesy pizza with melted, gooey cheese ever again!
We attempted to make our own recipe many, many times and finally, we’re happy with the results of this vegan cheese recipe. This cheese is as close as we have come to melted, stretchy and gooey pizza cheese since being vegan and we hope you love it as much as we do.
Vegan Cheese for Pizza
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh origanum
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add the cashews and the hot water to a blender and set aside to soak for at least 30 minutes. The longer you leave the cashews to soak the smoother your cheese will be.
- After the cashews have soaked for 30 minutes, blend them in a high-speed blender until completely smooth and no cashew pieces remain.
- Add in the rest of the cashew cheese ingredients, the nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, lemon juice, salt and paprika and blend until everything is mixed together well.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat and pour in the mixture. Stir the mixture continously in a figure-of-eight motion. After a few minutes, you will notice lumps forming on the bottom. Keep stirring until the mixture smooths out and thickens.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it reaches the desired consistency. For the perfect pizza cheese consistency, keep stirring for 1-2 minutes until the cashew cheese becomes spreadable and stretchy.
- Spread the gooey pizza cheese over your pizza base, add your favorite toppings, bake and enjoy!
P.S. What about some pizza topping ideas! Why don’t you give our super simple coconut bacon and avo pizza a try? You can make your own coconut bacon from scratch in just 5 minutes!