Our Easy No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake Squares are a Dream Come True!
Give me anything tangy and lemony and it will be devoured within minutes! These easy, no-bake lemon cheesecake squares were no exception. We made them last week and took our photos as usual but then we then realized we hadn’t shot one of the most important shots – the Instagram shot! I was left in agony for two days, longingly looking at the lemon squares in the fridge while we waited to take more photos. Finally two days ago we could take photos and at the end of the video you will see me picking up the top lemon square and it got chowed down immediately!
I couldn’t resist the zestiness of the lemon paired with the subtle sweetness of the biscuit base.
This week we made something so exciting: Our first recipe video! Check it out here:
Easy No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake Squares!
These lemon cheesecake squares are virtually foolproof and so easy to adapt to your individual tastes. I know that not everyone likes a strong lemon taste in their sweet treats so you can either reduce the amount of lemon juice or just add more of your sweetener of choice until it tastes just right for you!
These lemon cheesecake squares are creamy, have a wonderful lemon tang to them and are so easy to make too! They are refined sugar-free and can easily be adapted and be made gluten-free as well.
You will need a food processor to make the cheesecake base mixture as it is rather thick with the dates. I use this Breville one for a lot of my recipes as I find it powerful enough to make short work of anything. You can use a smaller food processor like I had to before I got the Breville, just make sure to split up the mixture and process it in batches.
Now, on to the recipe!
Lemon Cheesecake Squares
For the base:
- 1 cup mixed nuts (raw cashews, pecans or walnuts work best)
- 2 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1 cup oats (sub gluten free oats if desired)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
For the filling:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in boiling water for 1 hour)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup liquid sweetener (maple syrup or agave nectar work best)
Make the base:
- Before we make the crust, line a 8x8 inch (20x20 cm) baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the mixed nuts to your food processor and process until crumbled. Add in the pitted dates, oats and vanilla extract and process while slowly adding the coconut oil through the feeder tube.
- The mixture should now stick together when pressed between two fingers. Transfer the mixture to your lined baking dish and press down in an even layer. Refrigerate for 10 minutes while you make the filling.
Make the filling:
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews and add to your blender. Add in the coconut cream, cornstarch, coconut oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and liquid sweetener and blend on high until extremely smooth and creamy.
- Give the filling a taste test here and adjust the taste by adding more lemon or sweetener according to how you like your lemon squares. Personally, I enjoy the tang of the lemon with a subtle sweetness so I inevitably add more lemon juice here.
- Pour the filling over your pre-made base in an even layer. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight if desired. Just make sure you set the lemon squares on a level surface or the finished squares will look a little wonky!
- Once set, remove from the baking dish, slice and enjoy!
How do you like your lemon squares – you like them sweet or do you prefer sour? Let me know in the comments below, I would love to hear from you!
Thanks for reading guys and gals!