Need an easy vegan dinner recipe? Then our creamy avocado green pasta recipe is for you. It’s packed with fresh ingredients and ready in just 15 minutes!
Creamy Avocado Green Pasta
Our healthy pasta sauce recipe is packed full of fresh ingredients like avocados, cherry tomatoes, freshly picked basil and coriander leaves. Making a pasta sauce from avocados is pretty simple and works wonders, creating a creamy and smooth sauce.
If you time this recipe right you can have delicious green pasta ready to eat in just 15 minutes! This pasta recipe is really as simple as blending a quick sauce, cooking some pasta and mixing it all together. Done and dusted.
If you’re looking for more easy pasta recipes, check out our tuna pasta salad recipe.
How to make green pasta sauce?
The only part of this recipe that requires effort (very minimal effort at that) is making the green pasta sauce. The roasting of the tomatoes and garlic cloves is completely optional but they both give this recipe a lot of flavor.
Using fresh herbs is a must for this recipe, after all it’s where most of the flavor comes from. Dried basil or coriander doesn’t have the same fresh, punchy taste as fresh leaves.
To make this recipe even more quick and easy, prepare all of your ingredients beforehand. Then chuck it all into the blender when it’s time to make the green pasta sauce.
Roasting cherry tomatoes in the oven makes them caramelize and become delicious sweet pops of flavor when served with the pasta. The rosemary is simply there for extra flavor.
The green sauce is quick and easy to make. All you do is add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until super creamy and smooth.
This green pasta sauce can easily be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Dinner for the next few days is then as easy as cooking some pasta and pouring over some sauce.
Tips for making the perfect green pasta sauce
- Although roasting the garlic is an optional step, we would highly recommend you give it a try. There is a distinct difference in the sauce with the roasted garlic, a fuller and richer taste.
- As pasta forms the foundation for this dish it’s important to cook it perfectly. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions and it should come out al dente (cooked but still slightly firm). When you drain the pasta after cooking, keep aside a cup of the pasta water or cooking water. This can be added to the final dish when mixing the pasta and sauce together to make it creamier.
- You can use a blender, immersion blender or food processor for this recipe. Whatever kitchen gadget you use, make sure to fully process the sauce until it’s completely smooth and creamy.
- The sauce for this green pasta is full of intensely flavorful ingredients like lemon juice, fresh coriander and basil. So it is recommended to adjust the flavor while you’re blending. Add more salt and pepper or lemon juice if needed to suit your palate.
- You could eat this pasta with the sauce as it is but a little garnish never hurt anybody. You could obviously go with the cherry tomatoes and coriander like we did. But nutritional yeast is a good option to add some “cheesiness” to the final dish. Fresh basil leaves, lemon juice and cracked black pepper are also good ideas to try out.
Avocado Green Pasta
- 6 oz cherry tomatoes
- 18 oz pasta fettucine, spaghetti and penne pasta work well for this recipe
- 2-4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 medium avocados
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 F (200°C).
- Add the cherry tomatoes to a small casserole or baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. You can add some fresh rosemary or thyme to the dish for more flavour. Bake the tomatoes for 20 – 25 minutes until they have caramelised and shrunk.
- You can start cooking the pasta now according to the package instructions. The green pasta sauce will take only 10 minutes to make by which time your pasta should be perfectly cooked and al dente.
- Roasting the garlic is optional: Thinly slice the garlic cloves. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the thinly sliced garlic cloves and fry for about 2 – 3 minutes until slightly brown. Remove the garlic pieces and set aside.
- To a high-speed blender, add 1 cup of fresh coriander and 1/2 cup basil leaves, the 3 pitted and peeled avocados, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 – 4 garlic cloves, 1 cup water, juice of 1 lemon and salt and pepper.
- Blend on high speed until the green pasta sauce is smooth and creamy. Taste the sauce and adjust the flavours as needed.
- Pour the green pasta sauce over the cooked and drained pasta and stir to fully coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Serve and garnish the green pasta with the roasted cherry tomatoes, fresh coriander leaves and lemon juice.