Coconut Bacon – A Dream Come True!
The day we ordered our first “Tofu Bacon and Avocado Pizza” at the Greenside Café we knew we had to make this ourselves. But our first attempts at making tofu bacon failed miserably so we had to try other options. After trying tonnes and tonnes of other recipes, this crispy coconut bacon recipe stood out above the rest because it’s easy to make using minimal ingredients and so so delicious!
How to Make Coconut Bacon:
Coconut bacon is so much easier to make than you might think. Putting together a quick marinade, coating the coconut flakes and baking them for only 10 minutes gives you some crispy coconut bacon in less than 15 minutes! Coconut flakes are a unique base to use to make an alternative to bacon but they work surprisingly well!
Quick and Easy Coconut Bacon
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Before we make the marinade, preheat your oven to 180°C or 400 F.
- In a small bowl mix together the liquid smoke, maple syrup, soy sauce until well combined. Mix the ground paprika and coconut oil in and that is the marinade for the coconut bacon.
- Add the coconut flakes to the marinade and mix together well until the coconut flakes are completely covered.
- Spread the marinated coconut flakes over a baking tray in an even layer and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, mixing halfway through. Keep an eye on the coconut bacon near the end of the cooking time to make sure it doesn't burn as they can catch quite easily.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature. This allows the flavour to intensify and taste more like bacon.
How to Make our Cashew Pizza Cheese!
This cashew pizza cheese is one of the staples in our kitchen, I honestly don’t know what we would do without it. We make this cashew cheese for our pizzas, lasagnas and all things cheese!
Vegan Cheese for Pizza
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh origanum
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add the cashews and the hot water to a blender and set aside to soak for at least 30 minutes. The longer you leave the cashews to soak the smoother your cheese will be.
- After the cashews have soaked for 30 minutes, blend them in a high-speed blender until completely smooth and no cashew pieces remain.
- Add in the rest of the cashew cheese ingredients, the nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, lemon juice, salt and paprika and blend until everything is mixed together well.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat and pour in the mixture. Stir the mixture continously in a figure-of-eight motion. After a few minutes, you will notice lumps forming on the bottom. Keep stirring until the mixture smooths out and thickens.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it reaches the desired consistency. For the perfect pizza cheese consistency, keep stirring for 1-2 minutes until the cashew cheese becomes spreadable and stretchy.
- Spread the gooey pizza cheese over your pizza base, add your favorite toppings, bake and enjoy!
What about a pizza base?
You can use any store-bought pizza base for this recipe but if you would like to try your hand at creating an authentic Italian pizza base with our secret tomato sauce recipe check out our free guide to making vegan pizza – you can find it on the right in the sidebar!
Time to put it all together:
Here we simply added mushrooms, halved cherry tomatoes and some red onion before baking the pizza. You can add whatever toppings you would like here.
After baking the pizza we added the sliced avocado and coconut bacon and tucked right in! We couldn’t help ourselves, it just looked too good. The creaminess of the avocado worked perfectly with the crispy BBQ tasting coconut bacon and that cheese is just to die for!
Have you ever tried to your own version of a vegan bacon before? Let me know in the comments how they came out, I would love to hear from you!
Thank you for spending some time here today!
How about some tacos for Taco Tuesday this week? Why not give our easy jackfruit tacos a try?