Onigirazu / Vegan Sushi Sandwiches
Our vegan sushi sandwiches are:
- quick to prepare
- easy to assemble
- use only 10 ingredients!
- and are perfect for meal prep
Onigirazu, also known as sushi burgers or sushi sandwiches, are a great way to enjoy the taste of sushi. They are a convenient way to eat healthily and meal prepping them for the days ahead is quick and easy.
Layered between nori and rice you can be as creative as you like and use any fillings you prefer. Avocado, sweet and sour tempeh, and jackfruit are all great alternative vegan sushi fillings.
Meal Prepping Vegan Sushi Sandwiches
We often make a few vegan sushi sandwiches at the beginning of the week and they make a perfect healthy lunch that’s quick to prepare.
If you’re into meal prepping be sure to check out our:
It took us a couple of tries to master the folding of our sushi sandwiches ourselves. So, to save you the trouble, watch our video below to see exactly how to fold your sushi sandwiches perfectly.
Vegan Sushi Sandwiches / Onigirazu
- 4 sheets nori
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice cooled to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 block tofu
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- sliced green onion
- black sesame seeds
- sriracha mayo
- Cook your sushi rice according to the package instructions and allow to cool to room tempertaure once done. Once it has cooled down, add the rice vinegar and mix thoroughly.
- Cut the tofu into blocks that are not too thick and are the right shape to layer on top of the sushi rice. Cut the carrot, cucumber and red pepper into thin strips.
- Now layer the tofu, carrot, cucumber and red pepper on top of the sushi rice. Try and keep it as stable as possible and layer everything carefully to make the folding easier. Add sliced green onion and top it off with another layer of sushi rice.
- Like we have shown in the video, place the nori in a diamond shape with the tip pointing towards you. Add roughly a 1/3 of a cup of cooked rice and shape it into a square. Make sure you align the rice to the nori like we have shown in the video otherwise the sushi sandwich won't fold properly.
- Now, fold the corners of the nori up and over the top of the layered sushi ingredients while folding in the sides until the corners close and touch eachother on the top. Turn the sushi sandwich over and leave to sit for 5 minutes to set.
- Once set, cut the sandwich from top to bottom, to show off the fillings properly. Garnish with sesame seeds, sriracha mayo and serve with soy sauce.
If you make our vegan sushi sandwich recipe let us know by leaving a comment, tagging us on Instagram or using the hashtag #deliciousplants, we can’t wait to see what you come up with!
What about something for that sweet tooth? Why not give our No-Bake Vegan Carrot Cake a try!9